Monday, March 23, 2009

We Have to Do Better

I teach P.E. at Davis Hills Middle School. We just returned from spring break today I was talking to my some of my students while we were walking the track. I was asking them what they did over the break, roughly about thirty throughout the day. Maybe about four of them even left the city/state The other twenty-six, and I'm sure countless others did not even leave home. I heard some even say that they were glad school was back in because they were so bored. I say all of this to say that what I noticed that due to whatever circumstances so many of our children are not being exposed to other surroundings like they may need to be. I know that in these trying times it is difficult to go on trips for a whole week but we as parents need to find a way to show our children that it is a whole world that exist outside of there neighborhood. Simple day trips to Tennessee or Georgia just for them to see the country side and get an opportunity to smell some different air. I told my wife and I made a promise today that I want to make it a priority to expose my son to the as many other places outside of Huntsville Alabama as I possibly can. I encourage other parents to do the same. No matter where you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment